12 smart ways to grow your email list
Email is a fantastic marketing tool for small businesses with a limited budget. Low-cost (if not free), email marketing is targeted, measurable and highly versatile. From newsletters and business updates, to promoting special offers and carrying out market research – email is an incredibly flexible marketing channel.
When carried out well, email marketing can be really effective. And with numerous studies showing email to be a key marketing channel for delivering a high return on investment, what’s not to love? Time to grow that email list!
We are sharing 12 smart ways to help give your email list a boost. Easy to implement and highly effective. Let’s get started!
- Create regular, high-quality email content that engages with your target audience. You need to add value if you want people to stay subscribed and/or share your content.
- Include social sharing and “forward to a friend” buttons in your emails to encourage people to forward your content.
- Add a sign-up link to your regular email signature to increase exposure.
- Include a sign up form on your website – add to every page of your site for maximum visibility.
- Add a sign-up link to your blogs – if someone is interested in what you have to say, there is a good chance they will want to sign up for more information.
Using social media
- Use your Facebook page to promote a special offer that requires an email address submission.
- Use the Facebook call-to-action feature to add a sign-up button to the top of your Facebook page. You can set the sign-up button to link to your website or to your online sign-up form.
- Add a sign-up link to your social bios so that followers and fans can easily locate your email sign up form – Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+, Pinterest – wherever you have an active social presence.
- Tweet your followers on a regular basis to promote the benefits of subscribing to your email list (remembering not to bombard them!). You can also do this on your other social media platforms, but less frequently to avoid alienating your audience.
Old school methods still work!
- Collect email addresses at networking events, trade shows and meetups and import them into your database. At trade shows, market stalls and pop-ups, a business card collection jar, tablet device or even a simple sign-up sheet all work.
- Include a call-to-action on your printed marketing materials that tells people to visit your website and subscribe to your email list.
- Sponsor a local event, or partner with a relevant local business – two great ways to increase your visibility in your local area and attract a new audience.
Quality over quantity
For optimal results, it’s important to have a list of quality email addresses. Quality over quantity is absolutely the best recipe for success. Keep this in mind as you start your list-building activities.
A final thought
The great thing about email marketing is that you can see who is actually reading your content and what they are reading. As a small business owner myself, I find this information to be incredibly useful.
Knowledge of how your target audience is interacting with your content (and brand) can help you to make informed decisions and shape the future direction of your business.
Have you got an email list boosting tip you’d like to share? Get in touch – we’d love to hear from you.
Want small business marketing tips and advice? Sign up to our monthly newsletter!